It was the victim of a schmear campaign.
Greetings friends! This summer has been filled with wonderful activities for me; which have taken up the majority of my time of late, and left not much room for experimenting with food. I’ve been sticking with old favorites, simple recipes that whip up quick, and recipes that don’t require the oven. It’s been a bit warm.
With the increase in heat and humidity, my appetite decreases dramatically. I want fresh. I want fast. I want cooling.
Today’s recipe is just that. It has four ingredients. You don’t turn on the stove. And it’s better lukewarm. Does it get any better?
Today’s recipe cropped up for a variety of reasons:
1. My garden has been going overboard on basil production. Seriously, my plant has decided to take over. So…it was time to harvest. I then had an abundance of basil…but, surprisingly, not enough to make a batch of pesto.
2. I find nothing more refreshing that cucumbers. They are wonderful, and crisp, and deliciously bland until you combine them with other flavors. There was a half used cucumber in the fridge…Cucumbers and basil go great together.
3. What else goes well with cucumber? The classic tea-sandwich paring of cream cheese, naturally. Have you ever gone to a high tea and had cucumber sandwiches? Delicious. So simple, and yet…so tasty.
4. What vehicle can I put all these tasty, tasty flavors on? Mmmmm, nothing better than a fresh bagel in the morning!
Super Simple Summer Bagel Breakfast
Bagel, of the savory persuasion, sliced
1-2 tbsp cream cheese
4-6 fresh basil leaves
sliced and peeled cucumber
- Toast your bagel to desired doneness level. I like mine golden brown.
- Once your bagel is toasted to perfection, allow to cool slightly before applying cream cheese to both cut-side bagel slices.
- Place a layer of basil leaves on top of the cream cheese.
- Place a layer of cut cucumber slices over the basil leaves. Season with salt and pepper of you desire.