You may or may not know this, dear readers, but I am a huge nerd.
I love comics, graphic novels, superheroes, and all things awesome. I cosplay. I am a librarian.
Like the rest of the world, I loved Guardians of the Galaxy, and my heart melted for dancing Baby Groot. I wanted one to dance with every day. I mean…it was almost too adorable.
So, when Baby Groot cupcakes started sweeping the internet, I thought I would make my own version.
I used the Become a Baking Rockstar tutorial to make these cupcakes, through I used a different shortbread recipe, which is what I’m including below. I’m including the vanilla shortbread recipe, not the dark chocolate shortbread one. While that one was good, my taste-testers liked the look of the vanilla one more.
These cupcakes are as delicious as they are adorable. I am only including the recipe for one aspect of these cupcakes–I’m sure I will put up cupcake recipes and frosting recipes later. Otherwise, follow the recipes in the video.
Baby Groot will brighten anyone’s mood. And keep a look out for me at cons around New England. I’ll be the one with a big smile and baked goods.
Shortbread for Baby Groot
adapted from My Recipes
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line bottom and sides of a 13 x 9–inch baking pan with foil; coat foil with cooking spray, and set aside. Or use a baking mat.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Place butter, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add flour mixture, beating at low speed just until blended.
- Roll dough out to an even thickness and refrigerate until firm enough to cut out the Groot stencil (if you are making).
- Once firm enough to hold the shape, and stenciled, bake the Baby Groots at 350° for 30 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack. Carefully lift from the pan; cool completely on a wire rack. Decorate accordingly and place in cupcakes.