Yes, I know. I slacked a tad with the whole “updating on time” thing. Deadlines are SOOO overrated. They’re really more of a suggestion, anyway.
I had this whole breakfast date planned for a dear friend. I was going to get up early and go workout. Come home, get ready, and we would eat. Catch up. Laugh.
Alas, twas not to be. After I slept through my alarm and missed my boot camp workout class, I couldn’t decide what to make for the breakfast date. I was a little groggy from oversleeping, and a little bitter from missing one of my favorite workouts of the week. My mental schedule was thrown off, and decisions were not happening.
So, while I stood in my kitchen, day-dreaming about how much I wanted pancakes (the real kind, with butter and sugar and all things horrible for me) I just couldn’t justify it. I missed my WORKOUT. I think this is what you call obsessive. So I then thought, ok, I’ll make something with eggs. See, protein, veggies, much better for me. But then my brain said…”But maple syrup.”
So, I said f-it, threw caution into the wind, and made something sweet and something savory: Mini veggie frittatas and pancake muffins. I got my healthy stuff and my sweet stuff. They came out delicious. I think I liked the pancake muffins better, but only because I wanted pancakes so badly.
I am going to share the pancake muffin recipe today. I adapted it from A Kitchen Addiction. And it worked out really well. And, I learned something else while making this. Did you know you can make nondairy buttermilk? I didn’t have any buttermilk, which the recipe called for. But, one of my vegetarian friends told me that if you add apple cider vinegar to nondairy milk it will curdle it, in much the same way as adding vinegar to dairy milk does. The recipe for that is 1 tsp of vinegar for each cup of milk. I was astounded. And it worked beautifully.
This recipe makes about 14 regular sized muffins. Let me know what you think. I definitely want to make them again. Maybe throw some fresh blueberries in there. Mmmmm. Blueberry pancake muffins.Mini-Pancake-Muffins
- 2 C all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ C sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1⅓ C rice milk ‘buttermilk’
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ¼ C coconut oil, melted and cooled
- ½ C brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together rice buttermilk, vanilla, eggs, and butter. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Pour 2 tablespoons batter into each muffin cup. Top with 2 teaspoons cinnamon sugar mixture. Top sugar with another tablespoon batter. With a toothpick, swirl cinnamon sugar into batter.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove muffin tin to a wire rack to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing muffins.
- Enjoy. They are best slightly warm.Nutrition facts:
Calories from fat 51
Total fat 5.7 g
Saturated fat 4.2 g
Sugar 10.2 g